The recipients of APs have been revealed by the government despite the leaders insistence that it is not the government’s policy for the recipient list to be exposed.
The list was released this evening by the Prime Minister’s office.
The AP scheme was introduced by the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) as a method to help Bumiputra entrepreneurs in the automotive sector.
Naza boss Nasimuddin Amin, also known as “AP King” first appeared on the list in 1988 when he was given 3112 APs under his company Naza Konsortium Sdn Bhd.
There are also names of former MITI officers on the list and the two officers are some of the biggest recipients.
Click more for the list of the top 10 AP recipients
List of AP Recipients
1. Datuk Seri Syed Azman Syed Ibrahim, Datuk Mohd Haniff Abd Aziz, Datuk Azzuddin Ahmad (15,759 APs).
2. Tan Sri Nasimuddin SM Amin (12,524)
3. Berjaya Group Berhad, Sime Darby Berhad and Tan Sri Vincent Tan (8,573)
4. Datuk Ayob Saad, Datuk Dr Soh Thiam Hong and Soh Ah Gong (2,496)
5. DRB-Hicom Berhad (2,148)
6. Tunku Datuk Zainol Tengku Izham and Ramzia Arshad (2,025)
7. Zahari Jaffar, Muhammad Fadhil Ahmad (1,807)
8. Datuk Ilyas Mohamed and Zahran Ahmad (1,237)
9. Zahari Jaffar, Muhammad Fadhil Ahmad and Razak Al-Malique Hussain (1,080)
10. Muhammad Faizal Zainol, Zatizam Ghazali and Faridah Ghazali (1,026)
In case you are wondering who the two ex-officers of MITI are, their names are Datuk Seri Syed Azman Syed Ibrahim and Datuk Mohd Haniff Abd Aziz.
It’s interesting that although the government describes the AP scheme as a way to help Bumiputera entrepreneurs, there are people like Tan Sri Vincent Tan on the list.
I do not think this is the end of the AP saga. In other news, Deputy Information Minister Datuk Zainuddin Maidin has advised MITI Minister Rafidah Aziz to apologize to Tun Dr. Mahathir over some comments she made on the AP saga that had offended Tun Dr. Mahathir. No prizes for guessing what but it had to do with his son getting APs to import Porsches and Saabs through his company Auto Eurokars. Mokhzani Mahathir only received 95 APs in 2001, an extremely small number relative to the top 10 AP kings of Malaysia which numbers run in the thousands.