The Customs and Excise department is imposing a Profit and General Expenses charge on the 34 models of 6 makes of vehicles which the government believes have been underdeclared in the past.
The makes are:
- Kia. Distributed by Naza Kia Sdn Bhd whose AP King is Nasimuddin.
- Chevrolet. Distributed by Auto Pacific Star. AP Kings involved are Syed Azman Syed Ibrahim and Mohd Haniff Abd Aziz.
- Hyundai. Distributed by Hyumal Sime-Darby.
- Chery. Distributed by Alado Bumi Automobile.
- Fiat. Distributed by Torino Motors Industries.
- Mahindra. Distributed by DRB-Hicom.
The PGE charges would be around 30 percent for vehicles below 1.6 litres and 38 percent for vehicles above 1.6 litres.
Association of Malay Importers and Traders of Motor Vehicles president Datuk Abdul Hamid Ibrahim says this move would make the makes concerned have virtually zero chance to survive in the market.
The charge came into effect yesterday.