Net claims paid out for bodily injury and property damage due to road accidents in the first nine months of 2013 have risen to RM4.1 billion, compared to RM3.68 billion in the same period in 2012, Persatuan Insurans Am Malaysia (PIAM) has revealed.
“Road accidents can result in great financial losses and untold suffering to the victims and their families,” said PIAM chairman Chua Seck Guan. “It is impossible to put a figure on such losses.”
PIAM and the Malaysian Takaful Association (MTA) set up the Accident Assist helpline (1-300-22-11-88) in October 2013. Operated 24/7, the service offers road accident victims timely roadside assistance, including help in obtaining towing services to approved workshops, and objective guidance on making a motor insurance or takaful claim.
Statistics have shown that the rate of road accidents rise during festive holidays, due to the increased number of vehicles on the roads. With Chinese New Year around the corner, PIAM and MTA advise road users to take the following measures in the event of an accident:
- Obtain names and addresses of other drivers involved.
- Note their vehicle registration numbers and make of vehicle.
- If possible, take pictures of the damaged vehicles and accident scene.
- Ask for the name of their insurers and their policy or certificate number.
- Note names and addresses of independent witnesses and make a rough diagram of the accident.
- It is your duty to produce your Certificate of Insurance when required to do so by the police. If this information is not available at the scene of the accident, you will be required to produce it to the police within five days.
- If there is injury to any person or damage to another vehicle, or other property, give the name and address of the owner of the vehicle you are driving and its registration number to anyone who has reasonable grounds of wanting them.
- Do not discuss whose fault it was as this may create difficulties for your insurers in their handling of your claim.
- Inform your insurers as soon as possible even if you do not intend to make a claim. This is a condition of your policy.
- Fill in the insurer’s accident report form completely and include any additional relevant information not mentioned in the direct questions.
PIAM and MTA are reminding road users to drive safely, stay alert and adhere to traffic rules during the festive season.