The Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (MIROS) has announced results for the third and final phase of the ASEAN New Car Assessment Programme (ASEAN NCAP) at the Philea Resort and Spa in Melaka. The announcement of Phase III results was also made at the 2014 Global NCAP Annual Forum today in Melbourne.
A total of 11 cars, with two models in both lowest and premium versions, were evaluated. As with the previous phases, test vehicles were subjected to an offset frontal collision test at a closing speed of 64 km/h.
New to this phase is a UN R95 side collision test with a mobile deformable barrier striking the car at 50 km/h, while child occupant protection results now feature a star rating system, rather than the previous percentage-based system. The results are as follows:
- Honda CR-V 2.0 V built 2013, MY 2014 – Adult: 5 stars (4 stars, no VSC), Child: 4 stars, Side: Pass, Airbags: 2
- Proton Preve 1.6 IAFM+ built 2013, MY 2013 – Adult: 5 stars, Child: 3 stars, Side: Pass, Airbags: 6
- Toyota Corolla Altis 2.0 V with Safety Package built 2013, MY 2014 – Adult: 5 stars, Child: 4 stars, Side: Pass, Airbags: 7
- Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab built 2014, MY 2014 – Adult: 5 stars (4 stars, no ESP), Child: 3 stars, Side: Pass, Airbags: 2
- Volkswagen Polo Sedan 1.6 built 2013, MY 2013 - Adult: 4 stars, Child: 4 stars, Side: Pass, Airbags: 4
- Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 E built 2013, MY 2014 – Adult: 4 stars, Child: 4 stars, Side: Pass, Airbags: 2
- Peugeot 208 1.6 VTi AT 5-door built 2013, MY 2013 - Adult: 4 stars, Child: 4 stars, Side: Pass, Airbags: 6
- Kia Picanto 1.25 MT built 2013, MY 2013 - Adult: 4 stars, Child: 4 stars, Side: Pass, Airbags: 6
- Chevrolet Sonic 1.4 built 2013, MY 2014 - Adult: 4 stars, Child: 4 stars, Side: Pass, Airbags: 2
- Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab 4×4 MT built 2014, MY 2015 - Adult: 4 stars, Child: 4 stars, Side: Pass, Airbags: 2
- Kia Picanto 1.25 MT (no airbags) built 2013, MY 2013 - Adult: 0 stars, Child: 1 stars, Side: Not tested, Airbags: 0
‘MY’ denotes the safety package introduction year
The Proton Preve extends its five-star adult rating to the Suprima S, while the Volkswagen Polo Sedan extends its four-star adult rating to the Polo hatch. For the Honda CR-V and Chevrolet Colorado, variants without ESC are rated four stars for adults.
The Honda CR-V tested was an LHD car built in Thailand for the Philippine market. The results for the Toyota Corolla Altis 2.0 (available only for the Malaysian market) was adopted from ANCAP’s test at JARI in Tsukuba, Japan. This particular variant is built in Thailand for Australia and Malaysia.
The Volkswagen Polo Sedan, Peugeot 208, six-airbag Kia Picanto and Proton Preve tested were built in Malaysia; all the others were built in Thailand. The three test locations were MIROS PC3 in Melaka, Malaysia, Japan Automobile Research Institute (JARI) in Tsukuba, Japan and KATRI in South Korea.
To be eligible for a five-star rating, a vehicle must have at least two airbags, electronic stability control and a seat belt reminder, or it will only qualify for a maximum of four stars.
Side impact testing is now a pre-requisite for a four-star rating and up, and will be incorporated into, and influence, the main (adult) rating by 2016.
On the road-map front, the conclusion of phase testing (the pilot stage was divided into three phases) means that the agency will now operate like other NCAP organisations, in which testing and the release of results are routinely carried out.
Phase I results were announced in February last year, and those of Phase II in August. Watch a side impact demo performed on a Honda Civic, and learn more about the test procedures, MIROS and ASEAN NCAP.