Carbon Motors makes a logical point with their new Carbon E7 purpose-built police car: while other government services like fire trucks are purpose-built, police vehicles are usually stock civilian vehicles which are then modified to suit police purposes, with stuff like radios, sirens and other equipment added aftermarket-style.
The Carbon E7 is the world’s first purpose-built law enforcement vehicle. The result is a police sedan that runs on a 3.0 litre inline-6 twin-turbodiesel engine that is bio-diesel capable, putting out 300 horsepower and 570Nm of torque via a 6-speed automatic transmission through the rear wheels. That actually pretty much sounds similar to the BMW 335d or the 535d. While the engine is from an unnamed third party vendor, the aluminium spaceframe chassis has been entirely developed in-house. The car is designed to have a 400,000km lifespan.
0 to 100km/h takes 6.5 seconds and it will go up to a top speed of 250km/h, which makes it pretty suitable as highway chase cars.
The interior is chock full of integrated police equipment such as an automatic license plate recognition system, 360 degree exterior surveillance capability, controls for a 130hz to 350hz bass siren, Nightvision compliant interior illumination, integrated forward looking infrared system, integrated shotgun mounts, and video and audio surveillance of the rear passenger compartment.
The car also saves costs in certain areas that a production car converted into a police car cannot achieve, such as the lack of comfort equipment for the rear passenger compartment as it is usually used for tasks like ferry arrested people to the station.
More photos and full specs of the car available after the jump.
CARBON E7 – SELECTED FEATURES AND OPTIONS
All-new purpose-built vehicle platform exclusively for law enforcement
* Meets or exceeds all regulatory requirements
* Designed to 250,000 mile durability specification
* Turn-key built-to-direct-order – 24/7/365 call center support
* Turn-key end-of-vehicle-life process
* Comprehensive warranty
* Aluminum spaceframe body structure
* 75 mph rear impact crash capability
* Cockpit with fully-integrated factory fitted law enforcement equipment
* Integrated emergency lights, spot lights, take down lights, and directional stick
* Segment exclusive coach rear doors for safer suspect ingress and egress
* Vehicle dynamic control
* Anti-lock brakes
* Optimized approach / departure angles and ground clearance
* NIJ Level III-A (or better) ballistic protection (front doors and dash panel)
* Purpose-designed seat for use with on-body equipment – Heated and ventilated seats
* Heads up display
* Reverse backup camera
* Remote start capability
* Driver specific intelligent key
* 360 degree exterior surveillance capability
* Automatic license plate recognition system
* Video and audio surveillance of rear passenger compartment
* 130hz – 350hz bass siren
* Nightvision compliant interior illumination
* Integrated forward looking infrared system (FLIR)
* Integrated shotgun mounts
* Optimized storage capability (compartment and cargo)
* Integrated front and rear passenger compartment partition
* Hoseable rear passenger compartment
* Integrated push bumpers and PIT capability