According to Datuk Othman Aziz, deputy finance minister, the second phase of the MRT Sungai Buloh-Kajang (SBK) Line is expected to be operational by July this year.

In a report by The Star, he told the Dewan Rakyat that the project was in its final stages, including construction work, interior design and door structures, pedestrian walks, landscape and the setting up of electrical and mechanical equipment system.

“Working inspection and accreditation systems will begin soon. All the activities are being carried out on time, and the level of progress for the whole of the MRT Sungai Buloh-Kajang project stands at 97%,” he said, adding that the cost estimated was RM21 billion, which is less than the original amount of RM23 billion.

Phase 1 of the SBK Line began operations on December 16 last year, with 12 stations fully operational as we found out then.