Proton-Geely deal a good example of OBOR initiative

Proton-Geely deal a good example of OBOR initiative

The Proton-Geely partnership is a good example of the One Belt and One Road (OBOR) initiative, according to Zhejiang Geely (ZGH) chairman Li Shufu. In the report by Bernama, Li Shufu said China’s economy is currently undergoing an important transition, which has resulted in the Chinese multinational carmaker’s involvement in OBOR.

“In June 2017, ZGH signed a definitive agreement with Proton, and the deal is expected to be finalised by the end of the month (September). This is an example of a company pursuing the OBOR initiative, especially in the development of vehicles and infrastructure,” he said during the 2017 Media Cooperation Forum on OBOR in Dunhuang.

While tapping into global markets is important, Li Shufu stated developing a good corporate culture is of more importance. “The key to this is integration, inclusiveness and an open culture,” he noted, adding that profits shouldn’t just be the only aim of business development, but should also involve social values and corporate social responsibility.

The agreement between both parties will see ZGH secure a 49.9% stake in Proton, while DRB-Hicom will hold the remaining 50.1%. Other aspects include the sharing of the Boyue SUV platform, Proton being the manufacturing hub for Geely’s right-hand drive (RHD) models, and transforming Proton’s R&D division into one of Geely’s global centre of excellence, among other things.

Looking to sell your car? Sell it with Carro.

10% discount when you renew your car insurance

Compare prices between different insurer providers and use the promo code 'PAULTAN10' when you make your payment to save the most on your car insurance renewal compared to other competing services.

Car Insurance

Gerard Lye

Originating from the corporate world with a background in finance and economics, Gerard’s strong love for cars led him to take the plunge into the automotive media industry. It was only then did he realise that there are more things to a car than just horsepower count.



  • talldisc on Sep 20, 2017 at 3:16 pm

    i had wished Proton many times good luck. since 2006 (after they were struck with the first blow by Malaysians waiting for AFTA.

    so this time i would like to wish Geely the same. all the best.

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 23 Thumb down 2
    • Jerry on Sep 20, 2017 at 3:39 pm

      Good luck to u too

      Like or Dislike: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 14
      • Proton Oh Proton on Sep 20, 2017 at 4:22 pm

        Gud luck to Proton when Geely tell them the need to trim their workforce from 12,000 to 6000.

        Geely will pengsan when Proton say CANNOT.

        Like or Dislike: Thumb up 10 Thumb down 4
  • Open Culture on Sep 20, 2017 at 4:24 pm

    The stories of Silk Road has been told and documented where cities become flourishes with cross boarders trades and technologies spread across continents. Back then the law of Intellectual property (IP) has never existed. I’m an Open Source developer, hoping someone has translated CEO message correctly of ‘open culture’ statement on his speech at Dunhuang. I don’t recall any IP Proton had from the Mitsubishi partnership. Will Geely part any of Volvo/Geely IP to Proton?

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 0
  • tokmoh. on Sep 20, 2017 at 5:24 pm

    Geely > all
    Proton > all

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 0
  • Habislah Southoverlord! When OBOR is completed with ECRL, their port will shrivel up and die.

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 3
  • Avengers on Sep 20, 2017 at 10:38 pm

    Make Honda, Proton, BMW and Mercedes Benz win-win, everyone happy except for Perodua and Volkswagen

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 24 Thumb down 0
  • Proton, biasalah, cakap kencang. When the deal turns sour, they will limp out like obor-obor.

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0

Add a comment