The government says it has no concrete plans to introduce a Cash for Clunkers programme, in which vehicles over a decade old can be scrapped in exchange for cash rebates, Malay Mail reports.

Transport minister Anthony Loke said that his earlier remarks on the matter may have been misinterpreted, and clarified that the ministry was only studying the programme’s feasibility. On June 13, Loke reportedly said the that the programme could be revived to reduce the number of old vehicles on the road.

The decision to call off the study was made following concerns raised by the public over the benefits of the programme. “Since my remark has triggered public outcry, I have decided to call the study off and postpone it indefinitely because it seems like we are not ready,” he said.

Previously, the Malaysian Automotive Association (MAA) had proposed a Vehicle End of Life policy that would be implemented though a Cash for Clunkers scrappage scheme. Under the programme, owners of vehicles aged 10 years or more would be given a rebate of up to RM5,000 when they trade in their vehicles (regardless of brand) for a new one from any local OEM producer.

When first proposed, the policy was looking at requiring owners of vehicles aged 15 years or older to bring them for mandatory annual inspections as a requirement for road tax renewal, with failure to pass the inspection requiring the vehicle to be repaired until it is able to pass the inspection.