JPJ tests and inspects All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV), Vehicle Ownership Certificate (VOC) required

JPJ tests and inspects All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV), Vehicle Ownership Certificate (VOC) required

JPJ Director-General Datuk Zailani Hashim examines a CFMoto CForce 1000 ATV with Jimmy Goh of Promas Technology

A Vehicle Ownership Certificate (VOC) is required for all vehicles used off-road in Malaysia under Section 7 of the Road Transport Act 1987, says Road Transport Department (JPJ) Director-General Datuk Zailani Hashim. Under the Act, no person shall own or use a motor vehicle unless that vehicle is registered with JPJ with failure to comply subject to a fine of not less than RM2,000 and not more than RM10,000.

Zailani said this during a testing and inspection session for All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV) intended for off-road use at the Promas Technology proving ground in Bertam, Pulau Pinang. He further explained registering an off-road vehicle has benefits, including proof of ownership and eligibility for vehicle loans and financing.

“JPJ is supportive of the recreational off-road ATV industry and will assist all players in the local industry to obtain Vehicle Type Approval (VTA),” Zailani said. As of June 2022, JPJ has approved vehicles from three manufacturers eligible to be registered for off-road use – Promas Technology, CFMoto and WMoto.

Looking to sell your car? Sell it with Carro.

10% discount when you renew your car insurance

Compare prices between different insurer providers and use the promo code 'PAULTAN10' when you make your payment to save the most on your car insurance renewal compared to other competing services.

Car Insurance

Mohan K Ramanujam

Coming with diverse and extensive experience in heavy engineering, Mohan enjoys making anything with wheels go fast, especially motorcycles. His weapon of choice is the Desmoquattro engine, and he has a penchant for anything with a dash of Italian design. Strangely enough, he insists he's a slow rider.



  • So… JPJ need to rename to JPJDBJ is Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan dan Bukan Jalan ?

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 35 Thumb down 0
  • Best of all…those aren’t even companies remotely established in making ATV’s. Just the usual bunch of CKD companies with existing ties.
    Try bringing in your skidoo/Polaris etc ATV and see how keen they are in assisting a privateer in VTA-ing their vehicles!

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 1
  • Kalau dah ada VOC, boleh buat road tax lah?

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0
    • Anak Sarawakl on Jul 05, 2022 at 8:19 pm

      I’m thinking of that EXACT QUESTION…If that is the case, I’m ONE of the guys buying this one…!!!! Our terrains in SARAWAK here NEED something like THESE!!!!

      Like or Dislike: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0
  • So can u register it and use it on public roads and highways?…

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

Add a comment