LPT2-highway-report-03

It was recently reported that about 20% of the East Coast Expressway 2 (LPT2) requires attention, following Works Minister Datuk Fadillah Yusoff’s tour of the expressway in a road scanner. The minister even revealed yesterday that a few areas are “critical.”

However, Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (MIROS) director-general Prof Dr Wong Shaw Voon says otherwise, stating that the structure and safety aspects of the LPT2 are in good condition and pose no threat to motorists.

This was based on an earlier inspection of the highway on Oct 22 by MIROS, the Malaysian Highway Authority (LLM), and Public Works Department to recognise the reason for accidents there.

Since opening in 2011, there have been a total of 85 fatalities and 1,991 accidents on LPT2. It was later revealed by LLM that 70% of accidents were due to human error, with the remaining 30% due to faulty roads.

LPT2-highway-report-01

Speaking to Bernama, Dr Wong said that, “there were some silting in some areas with uneven road surface, but this will not pose a problem to motorists if they drive at a reasonable speed.”

The long straight expressway is also a contributing factor to accidents occurring on the LPT2, he added, as drivers would become bored and sleepy whilst driving on the expressway. “This is also believed to be a factor, which prompted motorists to exceed the permissible speed limit,” he said.

Dr Wong advised motorists to take extra precautions, should they decide to travel long distances, including having a second driver. “If you are tired, stop at the rest area, and if you are not feeling well, take medicine. Do not continue to drive,” he added.