Pan Borneo highway-02

Deputy works minister Datuk Rosnah Abdul Rashid Shirlin said that the 1,090 km-long Pan Borneo Highway in Sarawak will see completion and be fully operational by early 2023, Bernama reports. This comes as news as prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak stated previously, that the Sarawak portion will be completed two years earlier (2021) instead.

According to the deputy works minister, the project was split into two phases – the first phase, which began construction on March 31, 2015 extends across Telok Melano-Sematan-Kuching-Serian-Sibu-Bintulu-Miri. Shirlin stated that the initial construction entails a 43 km route from the Jalan Nyabau intersection (Bintulu) to the Jalan Bakun intersection, at a total contract value of RM638 million.

“The second phase involves a 33 km route from Telok Melano to Sematan, launched on September 1 at a contract value of RM580 million,” Shirlin told the Dewan Rakyat. She also noted that part of the second phase, involving the route in Limbang and Lawas, is slated to begin in 2018.

She added that other parts of the first phase will be carried out in stages from 2016 onwards. Meanwhile, land acquisitions for the construction of the Highway – which affects houses and crops – will be compensated fully by the federal government.

The Pan Borneo highway consists of 2,239 km in total length and stretches across East Malaysia. Once completed, the toll-free highway will link both Sarawak and Sabah. The ceiling budget of the construction of the entire highway is reported to be set at RM27 billion.