AES_Camera

Ever since the Automated Enforcement System (AES) was enforced in September 2012, a total of RM96 million has been collected. The Transport Ministry provided the disclosure in a report by the The Star recently.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said a total of 2,034,265 fines have been issued since the AES began operations. However, only 15% of them have been paid up so far, with the remaining 85% left unpaid. This information was revealed during a Dewan Rakyat sitting, where Liow responded to a question posted by Hee Loy Sian.

The Petaling Jaya Selatan member of Parliament had asked the ministry to reveal the number of settled and unsettled fines since the inception of the AES.

“Based on analysis conducted by the Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (MIROS), fatalities at 14 accident prone areas showed a reduction from 19 to 12 cases in the eight months after AES was implemented,” he said in a written reply to Hee.

liow tiong lai

Additionally, Liow said a study by MIROS revealed that the speed limit compliance rate amongst motorists have increased from 63% to 91% (on average) at six locations with AES systems.

On the matter of the Kejara demerit points system, Liow, in a written reply to Sim Tze Tzin (Bayan Baru), nearly 4,000 licences were suspended by the Road Transport Department (JPJ) between 2005 and 2011.

Both the AES and the Kejara demerit points system will be combined into the Awareness Automated Safety System (AWAS). Originally planned for a May 2016 introduction, implementation of AWAS now appears to be delayed until August 2016, awaiting the tabling of a Bill to amend the Road Transport Act next month.