Highway users, particularly those who use the Federal Highway to commute, have urged authorities to expedite the demolition work of the Batu Tiga and Sungai Rasau toll plazas. Operations for both toll booths have ceased at the turn of the year, and the remains could prove hazardous to motorists.

According to Bernama, an accident at the Batu Tiga toll plaza that claimed two lives earlier this week proved that there was a basis for their concern.

Motorist Mohd Faiz Anuar, 31, who uses the highway to get to work on a daily basis, told the news agency that the toll plaza could really be hazardous as many motorists tend to suddenly slow down their vehicles upon reaching the toll plaza due to the narrow passage.

“This condition is quite dangerous especially at night and early morning as well as during peak hours. The demolition of the toll plaza can also ensure smooth traffic flow on the highway,” he said. Another user Ahmad Ekhlas Hazlan said the demolition work should be expedited to prevent recurrence of such fatal accident.

Meanwhile on the subject, Malaysian Highway Authority Director-General Datuk Ir Ismail Md Salleh said PLUS Malaysia Berhad (PLUS), as the former operator of the toll plazas, is in the process of appointing a contractor to carry out the demolition work.

“I expect the tendering process (for the appointment of the contractor) to be completed in two months the latest or earlier,” he told Bernama. He also advised highway users to be more careful when travelling through the toll plazas as the lanes were only three-metre wide.

The Batu Tiga and Sungai Rasau toll plazas were abolished on January 1, 2018 as announced in Budget 2018. Operations for the tolls in Bukit Kayu Hitam in Kedah and the Eastern Dispersal Link (EDL) in Johor have also ceased.

Tags: