The inaugural 2015 KL City Grand Prix had its fair share of action, but the highlight was when Fairuz Fauzy came from last on the starting grid to secure a podium finish by finishing second in the GT Cup race yesterday. The day’s racing was the culmination of the three-day event, which kicked off with practice on Friday and qualifying on Saturday.

Fairuz started from 18th place after switching over his machine class from GT3 to GTM following a crash in qualifying on Saturday which badly damaged his Lamborghini Gallardo FLII. The 32-year-old Malaysian ran his Gallardo into a wall, and it could not be repaired in time for the race.

Automobili Lamborghini however agreed to loan a Huracan to the OD Racing Team driver, and he repaid the faith shown in him by finishing second in the GT Cup race in 40 minutes and 49.8 seconds, 36 seconds behind Japan’s Naoki Yokomizo from Direction Racing, who led from start to finish in his Lamborghini Huracan Super Trofeo LP620. In third place was Frank Yu, racing under the GT3 class.


Fairuz had moved up the field into third and with 10 laps to go, was behind second-placed Malaysian Adrian d’Silva in a Ferrari F458 GT3. Four laps later, d’Silva had to slow down due to technical problems and was overtaken by Fairuz, who was understandably elated by the result.

“It was a tough weekend for us and I am happy all came out well. We had problems from day one. Our first practice was cancelled and I had the least track time among the drivers. I missed qualifying yesterday after my big shunt and I thought my weekend was over.

“I only got news this morning that I got a car on loan. A great rebound from yesterday but driving an unfamiliar car from another category (Super Trofeo) is very challenging, but I managed to finish the race. The Huracan is a much more advanced car but in terms of braking, not as good as my GT3 car. Still, it’s a great result for me,” Fairuz told reporters after the race.

klcgp 1

Nexus Infinity driver d’Silva eventually finished second in the GT3 class and was sixth overall in the GT Cup after crossing the chequered flag behind Yu.

Meanwhile, the V8 Supercars Street Challenge saw Todd Kelly winning the 12-lap showcase event, which was run with five entries. The 35-year-old Australian from the Nissan Motorsports team just managed to hold off Volvo Polestar Racing driver Scott McLaughlin to take the honours.

Kelly grabbed the chequered flag with a time of 17 minutes and 19.783 seconds in his Nissan Teana, just 0.279 seconds ahead of New Zealander McLaughlin. Another Australian, Will Davison of Erebus Motorsports, finished in third place in his Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG with a time of 17:20.520s.

klcgp 2

The challenge marked the end of a successful showcase in Malaysia – next year will see a full-blown Championship round of the V8 Supercars series being held here.

As for the KL GP itself, race organiser GT Global Race was chuffed with the way the whole event ran – despite some issues, it said that it had worked hard to ensure that the race could proceed according to the programme.

The company’s president and CEO M. Arrasu said that spectator attendance was significantly higher that what was predicted, with a crowd of about 250,000 reportedly present for for event. He said that preparations for the second event next year will commence early to manage the expectation of all its stakeholders.

klcgp 3

“The preparation for next year actually began today. We will do a post-mortem on the event and map out the plans for next year. Generally, everybody was happy, especially with the attendance. All the sponsors were happy and I am confident that we can get more sponsors next year and make the event even better,” he said.

Meanwhile, Kuala Lumpur Mayor Datuk Mhd Amin Nordin added that KL GP 2016 will be aggressively promoted and the weaknesses encountered this year will be overcome.

View more of the action in our 2015 KL City Grand Prix photo gallery.