This year’s Ops Selamat has seen a slightly higher number of road accidents and fatalities in the city, said deputy police chief Datuk Mazlan Lazim in a report by The Star. There were 252 more accidents recorded this year compared to the previous year, which is possibly due to increased traffic in the city during this period – this is in contrast to the nationwide statistics during the first 11 days, which saw fewer fatalities.

The operation saw seven deaths recorded over the recent festive period compared to six last year, and city police recorded 2,536 accidents, mostly occuring along Jalan Kepong, Jalan Cheras and the MRR2. These areas have previously been identified as accident hot spots.

“Of the victims, three were motorcyclists, three pedestrians and one car passenger,” said DCP Mazlan. Over the same period, ending July 2, a total of 22,239 summons were issued in Kuala Lumpur alone.