The fans of the Fast & Furious SAGA are the best fans in the world… Since I became the Producer in 2008, you have been…

Posted by Vin Diesel on Friday, 25 September 2015

Vin Diesel has confirmed on his Facebook page that the long-running Fast & Furious film series – which has so far spawned seven full-length feature films, alongside two short films – will finally be coming to an end, but not with the next film, Fast & Furious 8. Instead, the lead star and director of the franchise said that the upcoming movie will be part of one last trilogy, before the series takes the chequered flag.

Diesel also said that a decision on a director for Fast and Furious 8 – a release date for which has already been set for April 14, 2017 – has yet to be made, as “this is too special a franchise, so these matters have to be very carefully handled.” He did, however, add that he will reveal who will take the helm of the film soon.

The next film has big shoes to fill, coming in the wake of the highly-acclaimed and hugely successful Furious 7. In the record books, that movie stands as the fifth highest-grossing film of all time, and was also the fastest to reach the US$1 billion mark, furiously blasting past in just 17 days.

Of course, it also served as an emotional tribute to Paul Walker in his last appearance as Brian O’Connor, after passing away in a fatal road accident in 2013.