Following the incident where a runaway bus rammed into ten cars on the downhill stretch near the North-South Expressway’s Menora Tunnel recently, transport minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai has said the company that owns the bus will face harsh action if any laws were broken, in a report by The Star.

Liow said that the ministry would perform a thorough investigation and look into the laws that could be used to punish the culprit(s). In the 2.45pm incident on Sunday at KM265.8 of the southbound lane, the bus was captured on video ramming into several cars after making its way round the curve on the expressway.

According to Ipoh OCPD assistant commissioner Sum Chang Keong in an earlier report, the bus’ brakes weren’t functioning properly, resulting in the bus coming down the slope at high speed before ramming into the cars. A 21-year-old girl, a passenger in one of the cars that were hit, suffered pain in the stomach area, but no one was seriously injured in the incident.

The 51-year old bus driver from Johor has since been remanded until Thursday to assist in investigations. Perak traffic police chief Supt Wan Jamil Wan Chik told reporters that the driver had nine outstanding traffic summonses issued between 2011 and last year, and that his urine test returned negative for drugs.

“A total of 63 traffic summonses have been issued to this particular bus involved in the incident. We are still awaiting the result of other tests from the Chemistry Department,” he said, adding that the bus would be sent to Puspakom to be checked.