Last week, transport minister Anthony Loke announced that all existing Automated Enforcement System (AES) summons will be written off following the cabinet’s decision to take over AES operations beginning September 1. However, Loke said the government is in no position to refund motorists who have paid their AES fines, reports The Star.

“The money paid by these offenders went to the concessionaires appointed by the (previous) government. We are in no position to refund because the Government did not benefit,” he said at a press conference recently, after distributing the Jalur Gemilang flag to motorists in Mantin.

The decision raised criticisms, with some saying it was unfair to those who had paid their fines. Loke, on the other hand, said the transport ministry will come up with a new approach for the AES, adding that discussions were ongoing with the Road Transport Department and other relevant agencies.

“I can’t say much now as this has not been finalised,” he said. As for the fine rates, Loke said there’s no need to review as the law stipulates that the maximum rate for some traffic offences was RM300.

The AES system was first introduced in 2012, with Syarikat ATES Sdn Bhd and Beta Tegap Sdn Bhd being appointed as concessionaires and have so far raked in over RM129 million. The only assets belonging to the companies were 47 speed cameras in the country, but only 38 were operational. The cost to install one camera was about RM250,000, which means the companies invested just over RM10 million to install the 47 cameras, according to Loke.

Tags: