VWGolfMk7_0089

Just months ago, Giorgetto Giugiaro announced his resignation from the company that he founded, Italdesign Giugiaro SpA. The Italian – best known for designing cars such as the iconic Mk1 Volkswagen Golf, the Alfa Romeo 159 and the Proton Emas concept – isn’t quite ready to retire just yet, Automotive News reports.

To recap on the series of events, Giugiaro sold off his 90.1% share to Volkswagen back in 2010, while still retaining a key position within the company. In June this year, he relinquished his position as honorary chairman and withdrew from the Italdesign Giugiaro board. Following this, the remaining 9.9% shares owned by both himself and his son, Fabrizio, was then sold off at about the same time.

The 77-year-old was quoted as saying that he didn’t feel old enough to retire. “I will continue to do the only thing I’m good at, designing cars,” he said recently. Picking up where they left off, the father and son team is said to be on the lookout for a green field site or a current facility, as they plan to start a new design and modelling company.

Work offers are reportedly coming in for the Giugiaro team, although not from Europe as one would expect but from Chinese and South Korean automakers. When asked directly on which Asian automakers have made such offers, Fabrizio Giugiaro replied, “it is too soon to elaborate.”

Despite that, the younger Giugiaro has confirmed that both father and son will be making a comeback in the very near future. “We are just at the beginning of our talks so it is really premature to say something more, but we will definitely come back to the car design business,” he stated.