Bayan Lepas Expressway launch

The new Bayan Lepas Expressway (BLE) is now open to the public, according to a report by Bernama. The BLE serves as a link to the Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah Bridge a.k.a. the Second Penang Bridge.

Works Minister Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof said the opening of the four-lane elevated route, worth RM337 million, was according to schedule (albeit earlier than expected). He added that the BLE was part of an initiative to reduce the traffic congestion in the area from Batu Maung to Sungai Nibong.

Construction of the BLE started in April 2014, and even though the highway is open to the public, it is only 99% completed. The remaining 1% is comprised of minor touch up work including bicycle lanes and landscaping. LED lamps and a drainage system are part of the BLE’s features.

Fadillah said the BLE is divided into two parts – an elevated 3.2 km section and a street-level 4.2 km portion. The highway is capable of accommodating a traffic volume of 70,000 daily, with differing Level of Service (LOS) depending on the type of sections.

On the elevated sections rated LOS A, there are seven vehicles per km, while the street-level sections rated LOS C has 11 to 16 vehicles per km. There are three intersections along the BLE, which are at Hilir Sungai Kluang, Kampung Java Avenue and Jalan Kampung Jawa.