In conjunction with the Hari Raya Aidilfitri festive period, the police will begin its next round of traffic safety operations nationwide on June 14, Bernama reports. Deputy prime minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said that Ops Selamat 11 will begin next Wednesday.

He said that the aim of the traffic operation was to educate road users and simultaneously reducing the accident rate and fatalities on the roads during the festive season. “Other than enforcement, public awareness is also important to reduce the accident rate and deaths during the festive season,” he said.

Ahmad Zahid also revealed that 1.4 million of the 5.3 million summonses issued last year still had not been paid. He said that the 3.9 million fines that were settled raked in RM304 million, the Malay Mail Online reports.

Zahid advised motorists to be more careful and vigilant on the road. “If you do not commit any offence there would not be any summons to worry about, and the number of accidents would also decrease,” he said.