Motorists with traffic summonses issued by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) have been given a month to settle fines issued up to August 31 or face getting themselves blacklisted by the road transport department (JPJ), The Star reports.

“Motorists are given a month, between September 1 and 30, to settle their outstanding traffic offences, and there will be no extension given, following of which, they will be blacklisted by the JPJ,” DBKL corporate planning department director Khairul Azmir Ahmad said via a statement.

He added that the discount is only applicable for wrongful parking offences at metered parking spots and for summonses issued by DBKL, and are not applicable to offences that are already blacklisted or are currently on-going in court as well as where an arrest warrant has been issued.

To sweeten the month-long deal, the council is offering discounts to motorists with a flat rate of RM20 for motorcycle offenses, RM30 for offences involving cars, MPVs, vans, lorries, 4WDs and SUVs, and RM50 for heavy vehicles such as buses, tractors, large lorries, cranes and trailers.

Back in June, it was reported traffic offenders had yet to settle a total of 2.5 million compound traffic notices issued by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) as of May 31 this year. Last year, in a similar action, the Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) said it had sought the help of JPJ to blacklist around 1,400 errant motorists for failing to settle their outstanding traffic compounds.