second-penang-bridge

Jambatan Kedua Sdn Bhd (JKSB), operator of the Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah Bridge a.k.a. Second Penang Bridge, will sustain huge losses if the Bayan Lepas Expressway is not completed on time, The Star reports.

JKSB’s MD Datuk Dr Ismail Mohamed Taib said that about 12,500 vehicles used the second bridge each day, but the massive congestion on August 17 had caused a drop in users with only an average of 500 vehicles crossing the bridge daily.

“This is certainly a big drop. However, we can still accommodate the losses during the project period. We just do not want a delay,” Dr Ismail said to reporters at the “Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah Bridge Merdeka Hunt 2015” event yesterday.

Penang chief minister Lim Guan Eng had issued a stop work order on the construction of the 390-metre special spans, which link the Bayan Lepas Expressway to the second bridge, after road closures caused a massive traffic jam last month.

Things will be brighter for JKSB once he work is completed. Dr Ismail said the project connecting Batu Maung to Queensbay and Batu Maung to the Penang International Airport could increase the usage of the second bridge by 20% in the future.

“Once the highway is open next March, we believe this problem can be overcome. We expect more than 17,000 vehicles to use the bridge daily then,” he said, hoping that parties involved can find an alternative plan to prevent another massive traffic jam when construction resumes.