Perodua has released an update regarding the delays on deliveries of the Myvi, which had been caused by a disruption of supply at one of its vendors. The national carmaker said that as of end-September, around 22,000 units of its bestselling model have yet to reach customers’ hands, and that it is doubling down on efforts to reduce the waiting time to a “more acceptable timeframe.”

“We have yet to ascertain the full delivery timeframe but our manufacturing arm has begun production and deliveries will be forthcoming soon,” said president and CEO Datuk Aminar Rashid Salleh. “Despite the unfortunate delays, we are extremely thankful that the Malaysian public continue to support Perodua. We offer our sincere apologies to the affected customers for the wait.”

The company had already confirmed at the end of August that it would provide cash rebates to the 3,100 customers who, before production was halted, were initially supposed to receive their cars before September 1 – the start date of the new sales and service tax (SST).

As a result of this disruption, Perodua sold “only” 9,500 vehicles in September, despite a record 168,200 vehicles finding homes between January and September this year – an increase of 11% over the 151,600 units sold during the same period last year.

“The sales jump [over the year so far] can be attributed to the positive response for the new Perodua Myvi as well as for our other models – the Axia, Bezza and Alza – which sold some 53,700, 38,100 and 18,400 units respectively this year so far,” said Aminar.