The official launch of the Proton X70 will be sometime in November, once the public preview sessions being conducted for the SUV is completed, the last of which is slated for November 4. This was revealed via a social media post by the company following a special showing of the vehicle to international trade and industry minister Darell Leiking at Proton’s Shah Alam test track over the weekend.

This pushes the original timeline for its debut back by around a month. In June, Proton CEO Li Chunrong had said that the SUV – which is based on the facelifted Geely Boyue – was expected to make its market debut sometime in late September or early October, arriving first as a fully-imported CBU unit from China before making the transition to locally-assembled CKD form next year.

The X70 previews that will run until November 4 will be carried out in various locations across the country, including Penang, Johor Bahru, Kuching, Kuantan, Ipoh and Kota Kinabalu.

According to Proton Edar CEO Abdul Rashid Musa, the plan is to reach around 6,000 potential buyers through the preview sessions. “While that’s a small portion of the potential buyers we are targeting, it gives those who are considering the X70 a chance to view the SUV so that they can make a decision,” Rashid said last month.

Details of the X70 were revealed last month, and the SUV will feature a 1.8 litre TGDi turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine (181 hp/285 Nm) that is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission with front- and all-wheel drive available. Buyers will get to choose from four variants, and bookings for the SUV opened on September 8.

Tags: